Moygownagh Catholic Church
The present church, dedicated to St. Cormac, was built in 1846 and is situated in Ardvarney townland. There was a stone placed over the entrance to the church which bore the inscription: 'This is the house of God and gate of Heaven. Erected to the greater glory of God, A.D. 1846'. A porch was erected about 1937 and the stone became hidden from view. It was removed in 1973 and inserted in the wall near the priest's graves. Extensive reconstruction and alteration works were carried out at this time by Fr. Michael Gilroy. The reason for the porch being erected in 1937 was that the door faced the prevailing wind and around that time a severe storm blew in the door and damaged the roof. In recent years, though a generously subscribed fundraising programme by present and past natives of Moygownagh, the church has seen major renovations resulting in one of the most beautiful smaller churches in the Diocese of Killala.